Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
My husband loves Mac 'n Cheese, I don't. I found this recipe on the back of a box of elbows and adapted it to suit us both.
- 8 ounces macaroni (uncooked)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion (chopped, I use a large onion)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 lb Fontina cheese (shredded)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- Butter 2 quart casserole dish.
- Cook macaroni, drain, rinse under cold water, and drain again.
- Add macaroni to casserole dish.
- Sauté onions in butter, over medium heat, until translucent and tender.
- Stir in flour and salt, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add milk stirring constantly to blend.
- Remove from heat.
- Add Fontina cheese, and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
- Mix together gently, and pour into casserole dish, and mix with macaroni.
- Top with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350° F 30-35 minutes, or until heated through and golden on the top.
Had some Fontina cheese in the fridge that needed to be used so I went looking for a recipe and this is what I found. Very tasty mac & cheese. Made half of the recipe and DH said I should have made the entire recipe so he would have leftovers for lunch - guess I'll have to make it again! Thanks for posting this. Made for Zaar Cookbook Tag.
Don't care for cheese, but was having folks for Chrismtas dinner that love the stuff. Found this recipe and thought I would try it. Well, it was a hit, and even I liked it. This is now my goto recipe for mac and cheese for now on. Great flavor and none of the grit or grease of cheddar.