Recipe by Netgirl's Healthy Cookbook
This is a vegan version of Macaroni and Cheese adapted from the book, Breaking The Food Seduction by Neal Barnard, M.D. I prefer it over low-fat versions of real Macaroni and Cheese. I make several batches of the dry ingredients in baggies to have on hand. I like to serve it with steamed broccoli.
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (I use Real Salt)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika (I use hot)
- 2 cups unsweetened soymilk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared mustard (I use no-salt-added stone ground)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Toast over medium heat for a few minutes, stirring constantly, until fragrant.
- Gradually whisk in wet ingredients.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring almost constantly with a wire whisk until thick, bubbly, and smooth.