Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Found this unique twist on Mac and Cheese. Probably could substitute other veggies for the cauliflower (broccoli, etc.).
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 2 cups milk
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 large carrot, grated
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and boil.
- About 3 minutes before the macaroni is done according to the cooking time on the package, add the cauliflower.
- About 1 minute before the macaroni is done, add the carrots. Continue boiling until the macaroni is al dente. Drain well. Transfer to a lightly greased casserole dish.
- To make the cheese sauce, melt the butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Stir in the flour and dry mustard to form a smooth paste. Stir in the milk and bring to a boil, stirring to prevent lumps. When the sauce thickens, stir in the Cheddar until melted.
- Stir the sauce into the macaroni and vegetables. Season with salt and ppper.
- Bake for 30 minutes in preheated 350 degree oven until bubbly and browned. Serve hot.
Great recipe iewe!! My family really enjoyed the taste of the veggies within the mac & cheese. I used half a head of cauliflower and half of broccoli and instead of grating the carrot I used matchstick slices. Also used a whole-wheat elbow macaroni pasta. It was wonderful and so easy to put together! Thanks for providing us a meatless evening meal that served with a salad satisfied everyones hunger. Made for Kid Friendly Recipe tag game.
This is a yummy mac & cheese with the added bonus of some veggies!! Changes I have made: low-fat milk, low-fat mozzarella cheese. Liked the fact that you added the veggies in the pasta to cook - not too many pots to clean! Thanks iewe! Made for Tag! :)