Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great dish, that can be used as a side, or even as a main dish. Give it a try. I adopted this recipe in the recipe adoption and I sure am glad that I did.
- 8 ounces bow tie pasta
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 3 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon unbleached flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, Grated
- 1 cup mushroom, Sliced
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, Grated
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, Chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to boil; cook pasta until al dente.
- While pasta is cooking, in med saucepan, melt 2 T of the margarine.
- Remove from heat; add flour and stir until blended.
- Whisk in stock and milk, stirring over med heat until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Stir in cheeses and seasonings.
- Continue stirring until cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt remaining 1 T margarine.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cook vegetables, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes, until tender/crisp.
- Reduce heat to low.
- When noodles are done, drain well.
- Toss with vegetables; stir in cheese sauce.
- Garnish with scallion curls.
I made this when I had a sore throat and wanted a forgiving texture but also some nutrition. It took a lot of pots on the stove but didn't need baking, and it was fairly adaptable. I put in peas and canned chicken instead of the pepper and mushrooms, and used rotini since I don't have a WW source of farfalle. Very tasty, like grown-up Tuna Helper. (D came into the kitchen and said, are you making a roux?! and then explained that I really needed to stir the milk the WHOLE time.) We ate it all in two days.
Delicious!! I used all cheddar cheese cause thats all I had and added some cauliflower and carrots. Very tasty and can be made lower fat by using low fat cheddar and fat free milk. Defenitely will make again! Thanks for posting.
Wow! This was very very good! Added some garlic and some tabasco. I also baked it in the oven for 30 minutes with some cheese on top... Mmmm! Can't wait to have the leftovers!!