Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
My mother use to make this maacroni & cheese with tomatoes. We loved it.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions,drained
- 2 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups skim milk (Or your liking)
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- Preheat oven 375.
- Prepare casserole dish.
- Slice tomatoes into 1/2 inch thick slices, set aside.
- Crumble bread crumbs with finger tips, sit aside.
- In a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add flour, dry mustard and salt.
- Cook together for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add milk little by little and continue stirring until mixture thickens.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Place 2 tomato slices in bottom of casserole dish.
- Add half of the macaroni.
- Place another 2 tomato slices,then the remainder of macaroni.
- Pour sauce over all.
- Add 3 slices tomato on top and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Bake 20 minutes and Serve Immediatly.
This was the best Cheese Macaroni I've ever had. The tomatoe is the secredt ingrediant. The bread crumbs were a nice touch as well!
I'm sorry its taken so long to rate this recipe. I have made it several times. It was very easy to make and went well with baked chicken. My super picky son - who hates all vegetables - ate two helpings. Oh and I used a 14.5 oz can of petite diced tomatoes. Thanks for posting!
My husband and I love the basic mac and cheese recipe. In fact my husband asked me to make this recipe our regular mac and cheese! I loved the tomatoes, but my husband didn't. So I made just one layer of fresh tomatoes on the top. He liked the bread crumbs so I will continue to make this with one layer of tomatoes and bread crumbs on top. Thanks for the recipe. Carole in Orlando