Talk about making something delicious healthier but even better. Recipe courtesy of Cook's Country.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook Macaroni: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Bring 4 quarts water to a boil in large Dutch oven over high heat.
- 3Stir in 1 tablespoon salt and macaroni and cook until al dente, about 6 minutes.
- 4Drain pasta and return to pot.
- 5Pour diced tomatoes with their juices over pasta and stir to coat.
- 6Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- 7Make Sauce: Meanwhile, melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat until foaming.
- 8Stir in flour and cayenne and cook until golden, about 1 minute.
- 9Slowly whisk in half-and-half and broth until smooth.
- 10Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- 11Off heat, whisk in cheeses, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper until cheeses melt.
- 12Pour sauce over macaroni and stir to combine.
- 13Bake Macaroni and Cheese: Scrape mixture into 13x9 inch baking dish set in rimmed baking sheet and bake until top begins to brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 14Let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni and Cheese With Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (328 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 837.9
- Calories from Fat 467
- Total Fat 51.9 g
- Saturated Fat 32.2 g
- Cholesterol 156.6 mg
- Sodium 594.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 34.4 g