Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Talk about making something delicious healthier but even better. Recipe courtesy of Cook's Country.
- Cook Macaroni: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring 4 quarts water to a boil in large Dutch oven over high heat.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon salt and macaroni and cook until al dente, about 6 minutes.
- Drain pasta and return to pot.
- Pour diced tomatoes with their juices over pasta and stir to coat.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Make Sauce: Meanwhile, melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat until foaming.
- Stir in flour and cayenne and cook until golden, about 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in half-and-half and broth until smooth.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Off heat, whisk in cheeses, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper until cheeses melt.
- Pour sauce over macaroni and stir to combine.
- Bake Macaroni and Cheese: Scrape mixture into 13x9 inch baking dish set in rimmed baking sheet and bake until top begins to brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let sit for 15 minutes before serving.