Recipe by Salyra
Wonderfully sweet tomato flavored macaroni and cheese. Little twist on a classic favorite!
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 lbs cheese (cubed small)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons flour (divided)
- sliced American cheese
- 8 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 (18 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, with green peppers and onions (or diced tomatoes)
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR MACARONI AND CHEESE: In med sauce-pan slowly melt cubed cheese over med/low heat taking care not to burn the cheese.
- After cheese is melted, add 1 tbsp of flour and the butter, stirring till mixed through; slowly add milk to mixture.
- Meanwhile cook noodles according to pkg/drain.
- In large mixing bowl or pot used to cook noodles mix noodles and cheese till all noodles are covered.
- Spoon macaroni and cheese into baking dish and top with sliced American cheese. Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until top is lightly browned and bubbly.
- FOR TOMATO SAUCE: Best to prepare this 5-10 minutes before macaroni is done baking.
- Empty 16 ounce can of tomatoes into medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add remaining tbsp of flour and 8 tbsp of sugar.
- Stir continually for 2-3 minutes.
- Bring just to a simmer and remove from heat.
- Serve over hot macaroni and cheese.