Recipe by JackieOhNo!
From "The Choice is Cheddar", Good Food Magazine, October 1986.
Top Review by Redsie
This is mighty good mac & cheese!! Used some Rotel tomatoes to give it a nice kick - and loved the cheesy sauce!! Nice mix of cheese. Added much more ground pepper - perfect comfort food! Thanks Jackie! :)
- 4 cups rotelle pasta (about 12 oz.)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup drained canned Italian plum tomato, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 6 oz.)
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese (about 4 oz.)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (about 1 oz.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat large pot of salted water to boiling. Add pasta and cook until tender but still very firm. Drain thoroughly and transfer to mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add flour and stir until smooth. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk and broth. Heat, stirring constantly, until simmering. Stir in tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add 1 cup Cheddar, the Gruyere, and Parmesan to sauce and stir to combine. Pour sauce over pasta and toss to combine. Transfer 2-1/2 quart casserole.
- Bake 15 minutes. Stir carefully but thoroughly, then sprinkle with remaining Cheddar. Bake until bubbling hot and cheese is golden brown, about 15 minutes longer. Let stand 2-3 minutes before serving.