1/5 Photos of Macaroni and Cheese With Tomato
From "The Choice is Cheddar", Good Food Magazine, October 1986.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups rotelle pasta (about 12 oz.)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup drained canned Italian plum tomato, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 6 oz.)
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese (about 4 oz.)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (about 1 oz.)
- 1Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Heat large pot of salted water to boiling. Add pasta and cook until tender but still very firm. Drain thoroughly and transfer to mixing bowl.
- 3Meanwhile, melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add flour and stir until smooth. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk and broth. Heat, stirring constantly, until simmering. Stir in tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 4Add 1 cup Cheddar, the Gruyere, and Parmesan to sauce and stir to combine. Pour sauce over pasta and toss to combine. Transfer 2-1/2 quart casserole.
- 5Bake 15 minutes. Stir carefully but thoroughly, then sprinkle with remaining Cheddar. Bake until bubbling hot and cheese is golden brown, about 15 minutes longer. Let stand 2-3 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni and Cheese With Tomato
Serving Size: 1 (260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 581.9
- Calories from Fat 248
- Total Fat 27.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.3 g
- Cholesterol 82.0 mg
- Sodium 913.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 24.3 g