2 hrs 25 mins
1 hr 55 mins
Comfort food with a lot of taste! Entry for Ready Set Cook #3 contest.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 oktoberfest pork sausage or 6 your favourite pork sausage
- 14.79 ml hot red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 1 zucchini, unpeeled and cubed
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and cubed
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and cubed
- 1 ear sweet corn, fresh or frozen, cut in 2 inch lengths
- 1 medium carrot, cubed
- 1 peeled sweet potatoes or 1 yam, cubed
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 385 ml can 2% evaporated milk, add fresh
- 2% low-fat milk, to make 3 cups
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 473.18 ml low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 113.39 g light cream cheese, cubed
- 2.46 ml dry mustard
- 2.46 ml dry thyme leaves, crushed
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 1182.95 ml cooked penne pasta (we like whole wheat penne)
- 1Place pork sausage in a large Dutch oven, brown on all sides, drain fat and poke each sausage several times with a sharp knife.
- 2Return to Dutch oven, cover with water, add hot red pepper flakes, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- 3Bring to boil, simmer for 1 hour, remove to drain on paper towel.
- 4Discard water and bay leaves.
- 5Slice sausage into bite size pieces, set aside.
- 6Place veggies in a large bowl, drizzle veggie oil over all, toss until all veggies are well coated.
- 7Spread coated veggies, in one layer, on lightly greased baking sheet; roast for 25 minutes at 450f degrees, turning once.
- 8Whisk 1/4 cup of the milk with flour.
- 9In a saucepan, heat remaining milk over medium heat until bubbles appear around edge; whisk in flour mixture and bring to boil, whisking constantly.
- 10Reduce heat to medium low; cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- 11Remove from heat, whisk in cheddar and cream cheese, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper.
- 12Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water; cook pasta until barely tender.
- 13Drain well and return to pot; stir in sauce.
- 14Add bite size pieces pork sausage.
- 15Remove corn kernels from husks, discard husks, add all roasted veggies to pasta/sausage/sauce mixture, stir gently to coat.
- 16Spoon mixture into greased 10 cup casserole.
- 17Topping: Mix bread crumbs with melted butter and Parmesan cheese.
- 18Sprinkle topping mixture over top of casserole.
- 19Bake at 450f degrees for 10 to 15 minutes, until bubbly and golden.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni and Cheese With Roasted Veggies & Pork Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (229 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 562.2
- Calories from Fat 192
- Total Fat 21.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 44.3 mg
- Sodium 532.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.6 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 20.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
2% evaporated milk