Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe came from Bon Appetit.
- 8 ounces small elbow macaroni (2 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated gruyere (packed)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Position rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 400 degrees F. Butter a 11x7 inch glass baking dish. Cook macaroni in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain well.
- Whisk 1/2 cup Gruyere, cream, milk, prosciutto, Parmesan and nutmeg in large bowl to blend. Add macaroni and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup Gruyere over. Bake until cheese melts and macaroni and cheese sets, about 20 minutes. Serve warm.
This is a bit high in fat, but worth it if you only make it once a year with company. The flavors of the selected cheeses with the combination of the saltiness of the prosciutto is amazing. The slight warmth of the the nutmeg brings it all together. Try it, you will not be disappointed.