Recipe by Chirie
My family loves mac and cheese but since I have found out I am allergic to wheat I have not had much success with it until I came up with this recipe.I have written it out for a family but since my kids have left home now I split it into 2 casseroles and freeze one in a freezer to oven casserole and just take it out of the freezer and pop it into a cold oven. Turn on to 350°F for about 30 minutes and dinners ready.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni (I used gluten free corn macaroni)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups peas, frozen
- 1 (250 g) package cream cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (extra old)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese (old )
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni in large pot boiling salted water as per package directions. Do not overcook.
- While macaroni is cooking:
- Saute onion, celery and garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat until onion is translucent, stirring often. Do not brown.
- When onion mixture is cooked add cream cheese and stir till it is melted.
- Add extra old cheddar and stir till melted.
- Mix in frozen peas.
- Drain cooked macaroni and mix onion cheese mixture into macaroni.
- Spread into lightly oiled casserole dish and sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 cups old cheddar.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 30 minutes till cheese is lightly browned.