Prep 55 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is not your traditional macaroni and cheese. Rich and indulgent, it is a recipe from the Federalist in the XV Beacon Hotel in Boston. I got the recipe from Bon Appetit. The ham lends a salty flavor to this dish. Wait until the sauce is combined with the pasta and ham before seasoning with salt. The ultimate in comfort food!
- 1 head garlic (yes I mean one head)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon finely grated lemon, rind of
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb ditalini or 1 lb conchiglie
- 8 ounces westphalian ham or 8 ounces black forest ham, cut into 1/4 inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350*F Cut top 1/4 inch off head of garlic to expose cloves.
- Place, cut side up on a sheet of foil.
- Drizzle with 1/2 TBS oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Wrap with foil to enclose tightly.
- Bake until skin is golden brown and cloves are tender, about 55 minutes.
- Cool and squeezze cloves from skin.
- Heat remaining 1 TBS oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add shallots; saute until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Whisk in milk, cream, thyme, lemon peel and roasted garlic.
- Simmer over medium heat until reduced to 2 3/4 cups, about 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in cheeses gradually.
- Meanwhile cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally.
- Drain well.
- Toss cheese sauce, pasta, ham and parsley in a large bowl.
- SEason to taste with salt and pepper.
T T ,made a half recipe of this last night.Only three of us,we could have used a bit more. It was very nice,when eating I thought it may have needed something to "Kick it up" but after the meal it had a lingering effect,suggest it was the roasted garlic. Will certainly make again.Congrats to the hotel in Boston,those beantowners sure know how to do it,Don
Made this yesterday and it turned out gorgeous. I did everything exactly at the recipe stated, including using all the roasted garlic. I was a bit worried it would be too garlicky, but it was great! I really enjoyed this. Thanks for another delicious recipe!
This is absolutely fantastic