By The Canadian Living Test Kitchen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 cups shredded old cheddar cheese (10 oz/300 g)
- 3 cups macaroni
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook onion and ham until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- 2Add flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- 3Gradually whisk in milk; cook, whisking, until thick enough to coat back of spoon, about 8 minutes.
- 4Add mustard, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- 5Stir in Cheddar cheese just until melted.
- 6Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook macaroni for about 8 minutes or until tender but firm. Drain and return to pot.
- 7Add sauce and stir to combine. Pour into 8-inch (2 L) square glass baking dish.
- 8In small bowl, combine bread crumbs with Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over macaroni mixture. Broil until browned, about 3 minutes.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni and Cheese With Ham
Serving Size: 1 (288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1012.5
- Calories from Fat 447
- Total Fat 49.7 g
- Saturated Fat 28.9 g
- Cholesterol 164.7 mg
- Sodium 873.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 51.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt and pepper