Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
By The Canadian Living Test Kitchen.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded old cheddar cheese (10 oz/300 g)
- 3 cups macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook onion and ham until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk; cook, whisking, until thick enough to coat back of spoon, about 8 minutes.
- Add mustard, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Stir in Cheddar cheese just until melted.
- Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook macaroni for about 8 minutes or until tender but firm. Drain and return to pot.
- Add sauce and stir to combine. Pour into 8-inch (2 L) square glass baking dish.
- In small bowl, combine bread crumbs with Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over macaroni mixture. Broil until browned, about 3 minutes.
Unfortunately this didn't work at all for us. I made it exactly at written and it tasted like it had too much flour and the basic flavor was just off.