Not diet food. So rich. So creamy. Decadent. Make it. Enjoy it. I've made this 3 times now and my family just loves it. I made it to serve at the big family Christmas, too. Not your traditional orange "Mac and Cheese". From "Everyday Italian" show on Food Network. The original recipe claims 8 servings, but we get more like 8 from a 3/4 recipe. I would say it does 12 servings. It is very rich.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- butter, for greasing dish
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles
- 2 cups heavy cream (no substitutions. This is a rich dish. Go with it. Don't try to slim it down.)
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk (No substitutions)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (original recipe said 2 tsp, but I have used tbsp to get this to set up and thicken)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for pasta water
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups grated Fontina cheese, packed
- 3/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese, packed
- 3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese, packed
- 4 ounces cooked ham, finely diced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 2Butter a 13 by 9 inch baking dish.
- 3Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender, but still firm to bit, stirring frequently. About 5 minutes. Drain well, but do not rinse.
- 4Whisk the cream, milk, flour 1/2 tsp salt and pepper in a large bowl to blend.
- 5Stir in PART of the cheese only to the milk/cream mixture. 1 cup Fontina. 1/2 cup parmesan. 1/2 cup mozzarella. Also stir in ham, if using, and parsley. Add the noodles and toss to coat.
- 6Transfer noodle mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- 7In a small bowl combine all the remaining cheeses and toss to blend. Sprinkle the combined cheeses over the noodle mixture.
- 8Bake until the sauce bubbles and the cheese melts and begins to brown and get a bit crispy on top, about 20 minutes.
- 9Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni and Cheese With Egg Noodles and Cream
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 399.6
- Calories from Fat 239
- Total Fat 26.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 115.2 mg
- Sodium 422.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 15.2 g