Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I created this creamy and flavorful baked macaroni and cheese after being disappointed with so many others I have tried. I especially like the garlic bread topping! The leftovers microwave nicely too - the macaroni and cheese stays creamy - and though the garlic bread topping softens, it stays flavorful!
- 1 lb rotini pasta or 1 lb shell pasta
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 French baguette, cubed
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 12 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup colby, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup muenster cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Butter a 15x11 baking dish.
- Boil pasta firm. Drain (do not rinse) and toss with 2 Tablespoons of butter. Pour in buttered baking dish.
- Melt remaining butter in saucepan. Add garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Pour half of garlic butter over bread cubes and season them with ¼ teaspoon seasoned salt.
- Add onions to remaining ½ of butter in saucepan and caramelize onion.
- Add flour and stir to make a paste.
- Stir in half and half and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Season with ½ teaspoon seasoned salt, sugar, mustard, pepper, and hot pepper sauce.
- Stir in Velveeta Cheese until melted.
- Combine shredded Colby, Monterey Jack, Muenster, Sharp Cheddar, and Swiss cheeses. Set aside 1/2 cup for topping.
- Remove Velveeta sauce from heat and stir in 2 cups of the shredded cheese mixture until melted.
- Pour cheese sauce over pasta and gently stir. Cover with remaining ½ cup of shredded cheese mixture and bread cubes. Sprinkle bread cubes with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes uncovered at 350 degrees.
Made this up according to the recipe, but did decrease the hot pepper sauce by half! Loaded with cheese flavors, this was a wonderful variation to the usual mac & cheese! Used 2 cloves of garlic, & the topping was GREAT! Thanks much for sharing! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's PAC]