Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I created this creamy and flavorful baked macaroni and cheese after being disappointed with so many others I have tried. I especially like the garlic bread topping! The leftovers microwave nicely too - the macaroni and cheese stays creamy - and though the garlic bread topping softens, it stays flavorful!
- 1 lb rotini pasta or 1 lb shell pasta
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 French baguette, cubed
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 12 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup colby, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup muenster cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Butter a 15x11 baking dish.
- Boil pasta firm. Drain (do not rinse) and toss with 2 Tablespoons of butter. Pour in buttered baking dish.
- Melt remaining butter in saucepan. Add garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Pour half of garlic butter over bread cubes and season them with ¼ teaspoon seasoned salt.
- Add onions to remaining ½ of butter in saucepan and caramelize onion.
- Add flour and stir to make a paste.
- Stir in half and half and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Season with ½ teaspoon seasoned salt, sugar, mustard, pepper, and hot pepper sauce.
- Stir in Velveeta Cheese until melted.
- Combine shredded Colby, Monterey Jack, Muenster, Sharp Cheddar, and Swiss cheeses. Set aside 1/2 cup for topping.
- Remove Velveeta sauce from heat and stir in 2 cups of the shredded cheese mixture until melted.
- Pour cheese sauce over pasta and gently stir. Cover with remaining ½ cup of shredded cheese mixture and bread cubes. Sprinkle bread cubes with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes uncovered at 350 degrees.