I created this creamy and flavorful baked macaroni and cheese after being disappointed with so many others I have tried. I especially like the garlic bread topping! The leftovers microwave nicely too - the macaroni and cheese stays creamy - and though the garlic bread topping softens, it stays flavorful!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb rotini pasta or 1 lb shell pasta
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 French baguette, cubed
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 12 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup colby, shredded
- 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup muenster cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1Butter a 15x11 baking dish.
- 2Boil pasta firm. Drain (do not rinse) and toss with 2 Tablespoons of butter. Pour in buttered baking dish.
- 3Melt remaining butter in saucepan. Add garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.
- 4Pour half of garlic butter over bread cubes and season them with ¼ teaspoon seasoned salt.
- 5Add onions to remaining ½ of butter in saucepan and caramelize onion.
- 6Add flour and stir to make a paste.
- 7Stir in half and half and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Season with ½ teaspoon seasoned salt, sugar, mustard, pepper, and hot pepper sauce.
- 8Stir in Velveeta Cheese until melted.
- 9Combine shredded Colby, Monterey Jack, Muenster, Sharp Cheddar, and Swiss cheeses. Set aside 1/2 cup for topping.
- 10Remove Velveeta sauce from heat and stir in 2 cups of the shredded cheese mixture until melted.
- 11Pour cheese sauce over pasta and gently stir. Cover with remaining ½ cup of shredded cheese mixture and bread cubes. Sprinkle bread cubes with Parmesan cheese.
- 12Bake 20 to 30 minutes uncovered at 350 degrees.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni and Cheese With Crunchy Garlic Bread Cubes
Serving Size: 1 (176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 591.8
- Calories from Fat 277
- Total Fat 30.8 g
- Saturated Fat 18.8 g
- Cholesterol 91.0 mg
- Sodium 921.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 22.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: