1 hr 30 mins
Barb Gertz's Note:
This is a different Macaroni and Cheese recipe. Some of the recipe can be made 1 day ahead. Great for pot luck. The recipe comes from Bon Appetit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs, made from crustless french bread
- 3/4 cup freshly grated asiago cheese (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups grated white cheddar cheese (about 1 pound)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lb macaroni
- 1Mix bread crumbs, Asiago cheese, and paprika in a medium bowl.
- 2Melt 6 tablespoons butter in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- 3Add flour and stir 3 minutes.
- 4Gradually whisk in milk, then mustard and pepper.
- 5Cook until thickened, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
- 6Mix in cheese and parsley.
- 7Cool sauce slightly.
- 8(Topping and sauce can be made 1 day ahead. Cover separately and refrigerate. Rewarm sauce, stirring frequently and thinning with milk if necessary, before continuing). Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 9Butter 15 x 10 x 2-inch Glass baking dish.
- 10Cook Macaroni in pot of boiling salted water until just tender BUT still firm to bite, stirring occasionally.
- 11Drain Macaroni.
- 12Return macaroni to pot; mix in sauce.
- 13Season to taste with salt.
- 14Transfer mixture to prepared dish.
- 15Sprinkle with topping and dot with remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
- 16Bake until cheese is bubbling and crumbs are brown, about 40 minutes.
- 17Cool slightly and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni and Cheese With Crumb Topping
Serving Size: 1 (233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 529.2
- Calories from Fat 248
- Total Fat 27.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.7 g
- Cholesterol 78.7 mg
- Sodium 498.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 22.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: