This recipe just came to me via email from bhg.com I've yet to make it but it looked, and sounds, amazing.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried elbow macaroni (6 ounces, regular or multi grain)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)
- 4 ounces processed gruyere cheese, shredded or 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup light cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, turning once. Drain bacon on paper towels; crumble. Reserve bacon drippings in skillet.
- Cook onion in reserved bacon drippings for 5 to 8 minutes or until onion is tender and golden brown. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and return to saucepan. Stir in the crumbled bacon, onions, 1-1/2 cups of the mozzarella cheese, the gruyere cheese, half-and half, and pepper. Toss gently to combine. Spoon into a 1-1/2-quart casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F ovenfor 20 minutes. Stir gently. Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake for 10 minutes more or until top of casserole is brown and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes.