Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Adaptation from Rachel Ray--really good. I added garlic to mine because to me nothing can be made without garlic =)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breast tenders, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons green onions or 3 tablespoons chives
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 2 1⁄2 cups raw broccoli florets, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups yellow sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese or 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Heat a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and chicken and season with salt and pepper. Saute a couple of minutes then add onion and chives and cook another 6 minutes until onions are tender and chicken is cooked through. Turn off heat and reserve.
- In a separate pot boil water, add pasta and salt. Cook 5 minutes, then add broccoli and cook 3 minutes more or until pasta is cooked to al dente and the broccoli is just tender.
- Meanwhile, heat a large pot over medium heat. Add butter and melt, then add flour, cayenne and garlic and whisk together over heat until it thickens, then cook a minute more. Whisk in milk, heavy cream and stock and raise heat to bring the sauce to a quick boil. Simmer until the sauce thickens about 5 minutes.
- Drain macaroni and broccoli florets. Add back to the pot and add chicken to the pasta and broccoli.
- Add cheese to milk sauce and stir. Pour sauce over pasta and stir to combine.
- Put pasta in a 9" x 13" glass baking pan. Sprinkle with the shredded cheese and broil for 5 minutes.
Macaroni? Nice. Cheese? Nice. Broccoli? Nice. Chicken? Nice. Now all it needs is some bacon:)
Making again already. Yummy!!
This was very good even with substitutions. I swapped rice flour for the flour in the roux and also rice macaroni noodles (as my son has a wheat sensitivity). I also didn't have chicken so I left it out, but I'm sure it would be very good and more of a whole meal with it. Thanks for the recipe!