1/1 Photo of Macaroni and Cheese With Broccoli and Chicken
Kitty Kat Cook's Note:
Adaptation from Rachel Ray--really good. I added garlic to mine because to me nothing can be made without garlic =)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breast tenders, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons green onions or 3 tablespoons chives
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 2 1/2 cups raw broccoli florets, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups yellow sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese or 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1Heat a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and chicken and season with salt and pepper. Saute a couple of minutes then add onion and chives and cook another 6 minutes until onions are tender and chicken is cooked through. Turn off heat and reserve.
- 2In a separate pot boil water, add pasta and salt. Cook 5 minutes, then add broccoli and cook 3 minutes more or until pasta is cooked to al dente and the broccoli is just tender.
- 3Meanwhile, heat a large pot over medium heat. Add butter and melt, then add flour, cayenne and garlic and whisk together over heat until it thickens, then cook a minute more. Whisk in milk, heavy cream and stock and raise heat to bring the sauce to a quick boil. Simmer until the sauce thickens about 5 minutes.
- 4Drain macaroni and broccoli florets. Add back to the pot and add chicken to the pasta and broccoli.
- 5Add cheese to milk sauce and stir. Pour sauce over pasta and stir to combine.
- 6Put pasta in a 9" x 13" glass baking pan. Sprinkle with the shredded cheese and broil for 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni and Cheese With Broccoli and Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (322 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 732.3
- Calories from Fat 374
- Total Fat 41.5 g
- Saturated Fat 23.3 g
- Cholesterol 152.4 mg
- Sodium 590.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 37.5 g