Kozmic Blues's Note:
I found this recipe in one of my favorite cookbooks: "The Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook" Besides being a great dairy free recipe for "mac and cheese", the flavor of the dish from the miso, tofu and lemon is really unique. It's also a fun way to sneak tofu into the diets of non vegetarians. I do eat dairy, so I usually use skim milk and real cheese instead of the soy, but the original recipe from the book uses the non-dairy options.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 cups soymilk (can substitute skim milk)
- 12 ounces soft tofu or 12 ounces silken tofu
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon white miso
- 1 -2 dash hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (for a nice change, try using fresh ground white pepper)
- 12 ounces rotini pasta (spiral shaped)
- 1 cup grated soy cheese (can substitute cheddar or monteray jack cheese if you eat dairy)
- 1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Lightly spray a 2 1/2 quart caserole dish with cooking spray.
- 3Heat oil in a pan over medium heat, and saute the onion until soft, about 5 minutes.
- 4Place onions in a blender or food processor with the milk, tofu, lemon juice, miso, hot sauce, turmeric, and salt and pepper.
- 5Process until well blended.
- 6Take a taste and adjust any of the seasonings as needed, then set aside.
- 7Cook rotini in a large pot of boiling salted water until just under al dente (I'd say about 6-7 minutes).
- 8Drain pasta and add the sauce from the blender and half of the grated cheese.
- 9Combine well.
- 10Place pasta into the caserole dish, and top with the breadcrumbs and the remaining cheese.
- 11Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- 12Uncover and bake until the top is lightly browned, 5 to 10 minutes longer.
- 13Let sit about 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni and Cheese with a Twist
Serving Size: 1 (226 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 341.2
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 154.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 16.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: