My mother-in-law came up with this recipe and I had to learn to make it because my husband LOVES it. She always makes it for potluck dinners because kids love it. We always add a little sugar to the sauce, but that's optional.
- Brown the meat and drain.
- Add spaghetti sauce and let simmer.
- Boil macaroni as directed on box.
- Drain macaroni and add back to pot.
- Add the cheese from the macaroni and cheese dinner.
- When the cheese is distributed, add the spaghetti sauce mixture.
- Mix well.
- Pour into 13x9 casserole dish.
- Cover the mixture with the Kraft singles.
- Bake at 375F for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
This is exactly what it sounds like. Good, unpretentious comfort food. It won't knock your socks off but it is great for those times when you don't feel like messing around too much in the kitchen and you don't know what to make. Especially since the ingredients are usually on hand. I would recommend this especially to people just learning to cook as this dish is extremely simple. Personally, I will probably add mushrooms, onions & peppers next time.
My 16 yr old son cooks the family dinner once a week. This was easy for him to make and was a great hit!! Was completely gone by the next day. I think he'll be wanting to make this dish again soon!
The whole family approved! I used the "off brand" mac n' cheese and spaghetti sauce...put slices of nice n' cheesy (off brand velveeta) (and omitted the butter called for on the mac..why add the fat). Very suprised at how good it is. A better beefaroni! A great recipe for when my 12 y/o son wants to cook.