Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
One of the ultimate "comfort" foods! Kids and adults come back for more. I chop the celery, carrot, onion and garlic with a couple of quick pulses in my processor. I like to serve this with a Waldorf type salad and crusty rolls. I've been using a typed recipe for so long I no longer remember where I got it!
- 1 cup macaroni, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups milk
- 1 (1 lb) box Velveeta cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper, ...black can be substituted
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 1/4 c. cold water
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen corn kernels
- 1⁄2 cup frozen baby peas
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, omitting salt.
- Drain, rinse with cold water and drain again.
- Set aside.
- Melt butter or margarine in Dutch oven over medium heat; add celery, carrot, onion and garlic.
- Cook for a few minutes until vegetables are almost tender.
- Remove from heat; add milk, cheese and bouillon cubes.
- Return to medium heat; cook until cheese melts and bouillon cubes are dissolved, stirring often.
- Add pepper.
- Stir cornstarch mixture, add to milk mixture.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens slightly and comes to a boil.
- Add corn and peas, bring back to boil, lower heat and simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Add macaroni and cook over low heat until heated through.
- Adjust seasonings, if desired.