One of the ultimate "comfort" foods! Kids and adults come back for more. I chop the celery, carrot, onion and garlic with a couple of quick pulses in my processor. I like to serve this with a Waldorf type salad and crusty rolls. I've been using a typed recipe for so long I no longer remember where I got it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup macaroni, uncooked
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups milk
- 1 (1 lb) box Velveeta cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper, ...black can be substituted
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 1/4 c. cold water
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup frozen baby peas
- 1Cook macaroni according to package directions, omitting salt.
- 2Drain, rinse with cold water and drain again.
- 3Set aside.
- 4Melt butter or margarine in Dutch oven over medium heat; add celery, carrot, onion and garlic.
- 5Cook for a few minutes until vegetables are almost tender.
- 6Remove from heat; add milk, cheese and bouillon cubes.
- 7Return to medium heat; cook until cheese melts and bouillon cubes are dissolved, stirring often.
- 8Add pepper.
- 9Stir cornstarch mixture, add to milk mixture.
- 10Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens slightly and comes to a boil.
- 11Add corn and peas, bring back to boil, lower heat and simmer for about 3 minutes.
- 12Add macaroni and cook over low heat until heated through.
- 13Adjust seasonings, if desired.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni and Cheese Soup
Serving Size: 1 (2154 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.6
- Calories from Fat 185
- Total Fat 20.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 68.6 mg
- Sodium 1012.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 15.0 g