Recipe by Tish
Vegetarian or vegan depending on your choice of ingredients. This is a smooth, mild soup-high protein
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy margarine or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium celery ribs, finely diced
- 1 (1 lb) can great northern bean, drained and rinsed
- 3 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock or 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt free herb and spice seasoning mix
- 1 cup soymilk or 1 cup low-fat milk (or as needed)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar-style soy cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups firmly packed grated low-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 cups small shell pasta (such as shells or elbows)
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Het the margarine or oil in a soup pot.
- Add the onion and celery and saute over medium low heat until the onion is gold.
- In the meantime, puree the beens in a until smooth.
- Add a small amount of water if necessary Cover the onions and celery witht he stock or water.
- Bring to a simmer then stir in the bean puree, mushrooms, and seasoning mix.
- Simmer gently, covered for 30-35 minutes.
- Stir in the milk or soy more or less as needed to achieve a slightly thick consistency.
- Remove from the heat and sprinkle in the cheese, a bit at a time, stirring in each time until it is fairly well melted (soy may not melt as completely).
- Cover the soup and set aside In a separate saucepan, cook the pasta al dente.
- Drain it and stir into the soup.
- Adjust the consistency of the soup with more milk or soy as needed, then return to a low heat.
- Season to taste with salt and cayenne.
- Remove the soup from the heat and serve.