Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is from "Woman's World" magazine, January 24, 2006. I never thought that Mac 'n Cheese could become a soup. It is an excellent dish. Give it a try!
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package cheese, shredded
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 slices French bread (1/2-inch thick) or 6 slices Italian bread (1/2-inch thick)
- Cook pasta according to package directions until almost tender; drain.
- Preheat broiler.
- In same pot, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Whisk in undiluted soup, broth, 1 1/2 cups water, mustard, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium.
- Stir in milk, Worcestershire sauce, and pasta; heat through.
- Spread remaining butter over top of bread slices.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Broil until cheese is melted, 1-2 minutes.
- Divide soup among 6 bowls; top with toasts or extra cheese.