The original of this recipe was found in the 17 Oct 2009 issue of Family Circle magazine and the combo of three cheeses makes for a very comforting meal!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Coat a 2-quart broiler-safe baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boiling; add penne.
- Cook penne for 6 minutes; drain.
- In a large bowl, toss together the cheddar, gruyere and asiago cheeses; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-size saucepan, melt unsalted butter over medium heat; whisk in flour until smooth and slightly bubbly.
- In a thin stream, whisk in the milk; stir in onion powder, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in 2-1/2 cups of the cheese mixture.
- In a pasta pot, stir together the cooked penne and the cheese sauce.
- Pour half of mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with a generous cup of the cheese.
- Spoon in the remaining penne and top with the remaining cheese sauce.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Increase the oven temperature to broil and cook another 3 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
- Cool slightly before serving.