Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
The original of this recipe was found in the 17 Oct 2009 issue of Family Circle magazine and the combo of three cheeses makes for a very comforting meal!
- 1 (16 ounce) box penne rigate
- 3⁄4 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 lb gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup asiago cheese, shredded (or Parmesan)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Coat a 2-quart broiler-safe baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boiling; add penne.
- Cook penne for 6 minutes; drain.
- In a large bowl, toss together the cheddar, gruyere and asiago cheeses; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-size saucepan, melt unsalted butter over medium heat; whisk in flour until smooth and slightly bubbly.
- In a thin stream, whisk in the milk; stir in onion powder, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in 2-1/2 cups of the cheese mixture.
- In a pasta pot, stir together the cooked penne and the cheese sauce.
- Pour half of mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with a generous cup of the cheese.
- Spoon in the remaining penne and top with the remaining cheese sauce.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Increase the oven temperature to broil and cook another 3 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
- Cool slightly before serving.
And all along I thought beer and steak was a way to a man's heart. Who knew! Made for Everyday Is A Holiday.
Delicious and easy peasy! I used a mixture of parmesan and asiago cheese, and regular swiss instead of the gruyere. I also used about 1/2 tsp of cayenne because we like spicy! I loved this mac-n-cheese and will certainly make it again! I also sprinkled a little bit of all the three cheeses on top! Made for Holiday Tag June 2011!
Other than cg this recipe in half, and using Parmesan cheese, I made this reciperight down the line, nice combo of flavors.Made for a great dinner last night. Made for Zaar`Stars..