Recipe by Queen uh Cuisine
Crispy, crunchy, golden brown on top…moist, creamy and luscious inside. This is the perfect comfort food.
Top Review by Outta Here
Very tasty mac 'n cheese! I used an English white sharp cheddar with the emmenthaler. Creamy and delicious. I am not overly fond of breaded topping on mac 'n cheese, so will leave that off next time and maybe top it with more parmesan. Made for Spring 2012 PAC game.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 6 ounces good strong cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 ounces emmenthaler cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C
- Prepare macaroni as directed on the package.
- Drain well, rinse and set aside.
- Place 2 TBS butter and the onion in a small saucepan .
- Cook over medium heat until tender, but not browned.
- Stir in the flour, salt, mustard and pepper.
- Cook 1 minute.
- Slowly stir in the milk and cook, stirring until smooth.
- Mix the cheeses together.
- Add about ¾ of the cheese, stirring until the cheese is melted.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Put the cooked macaroni into a greased 1 ½ litre casserole.
- Pour the cheese sauce over, tossing with a fork to coat all the macaroni.
- Top with the rest of the cheese.
- Melt the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter and mix together with the bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle evenly over the cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes, until lightly browned and bubbly.