Recipe by AmyZoe
I'm pretty sure this recipe is illegal in certain parts. Lick the pan delicious--you won't have any leftovers. Recipe courtesy of Pioneer Woman and The Pioneer Woman Cooks--Recipes From an Accidental Country Girl. I added some already cooked ham to the mixture. Feel free to mix it up with cayenne pepper, paprika, ground thyme, caramelized onions, roasted/chopped green chilies, cooked/crumbled bacon, diced/sauteed ham, diced/fresh tomatoes or whatever variation your heart desires.
Top Review by email@example.com
This was perfect! I only had 2 cups of macaroni so I added less milk to the roux so it was thicker and clung to it really well. I was out of dry mustard so I just added a bit of yellow mustard and it worked perfectly. Thanks so much for posting this recipe - it will be the only way I make mac and cheese in the future! DELICIOUS!!!
- 4 cups macaroni (dry)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup butter (4 tablespoons)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard (to taste, heating teaspoons)
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or more, to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the macaroni until very firm. It should be too firm to eat right out of the pot. If you're in a hurry and don't want to bake the macaroni and cheese, cook it now until it's done. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 and butter a large oval or rectangular baking dish.
- In a large pot, melt the butter and sprinkle in the flour.
- Whisk it together over medium-low heat and cook for 5 minutes, whisking constantly. Don't let it burn.
- :Pour in the milk.
- Add the mustard and whisk until smooth.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until very thick, whisking constantly. Reduce the heat to low.
- To temper the eggs, slowly pour 1/4 cup of the sauce into the beaten egg, whisking constantly to avoid cooking the egg. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour the egg mixture into the sauce, whisking until smooth.
- Add in all but 1/2 cup of the cheese and stir until melted.
- Add the seasonings. Taste the sauce and add more salt and seasoned salt as needed. Do not undersalt or you'll regret it.
- Pour in the cooked, drained macaroni and stir to continue.
- Serve immediately or pour into the baking dish and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.