Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I think I may have stumbled onto something great here. Much better than the blue box and easy to make.
- Bring pasta water to a boil. Cook the shells al dente and drain. Place them in a large baking dish and set aside.
- Add the peas and ham to the pasta shells.
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter over low heat so that it doesn't burn.
- Add flour and stir with a wisk until the mixture thickens.
- Slowly add the milk so it doesn't cool off the butter and keep stirring.
- Once the milk is added, continue to stir with the wisk.
- When the milk starts to simmer slightly, add 1/2 of the cheese, a little at a time, allowing it to melt completely before adding more.
- When the sauce has the cheese melted in it, add it to the shells; stir to mix.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the shells.
- Sprinkle with the Panko bread crumbs.
- Place in a 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.
This particular recipe came in handy for me as I made it for a neighbor couple who love mac & cheese almost anyway I fix it, & they very much enjoyed this one, too! AND, now that I've had a taste of it myself, I'll be keeping it around a while, because it is absolutely delicious, & I want to make it for just the 2 of us before long! Many thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's round of Pick A Chef]