Made from boxed macaroni&cheese dinner. The cheese/macaroni mixture gives this a unique twist to typical macaroni salad. I've never made it from homemade cheese & macaroni, but I imagine it would work fine. Sometimes I use leftover macaroni & cheese dinner and adjust the rest of the ingredients accordingly. This is one of our quick and easy family favorites. Enjoy!!
- 1 (7 ounce) box macaroni & cheese dinner mix (we use Kraft brand, but store brands are fine also)
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup frozen peas (thawed)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup celery (chopped)
- 1⁄3 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried dill (you can substitute with your favorite cold salad seasoning.)
- Cook macaroni & cheese dinner per box directions; cool. (If you're using leftover macaroni, adjust the remaining ingredients accordingly).
- Add chopped eggs, celery, onion, green onion to cooled macaroni & cheese.
- Stir in mayonnaise and seasonings.
- Gently stir in thawed peas and season to taste.
- As with all salads, season to taste.