Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Made from boxed macaroni&cheese dinner. The cheese/macaroni mixture gives this a unique twist to typical macaroni salad. I've never made it from homemade cheese & macaroni, but I imagine it would work fine. Sometimes I use leftover macaroni & cheese dinner and adjust the rest of the ingredients accordingly. This is one of our quick and easy family favorites. Enjoy!!
- 1 (7 ounce) box macaroni & cheese dinner mix (we use Kraft brand, but store brands are fine also)
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup frozen peas (thawed)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup celery (chopped)
- 1⁄3 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried dill (you can substitute with your favorite cold salad seasoning.)
- Cook macaroni & cheese dinner per box directions; cool. (If you're using leftover macaroni, adjust the remaining ingredients accordingly).
- Add chopped eggs, celery, onion, green onion to cooled macaroni & cheese.
- Stir in mayonnaise and seasonings.
- Gently stir in thawed peas and season to taste.
- As with all salads, season to taste.
Very good! It's addictive. I was so intrigued by this that I went out to buy Kraft mac n' cheese just to try it. I followed the recipe exactly but put the peas in the boiling water with the noodles just before draining them. I used 1/2 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. I agree the white onions kinda overpower it but I like onions.The only thing it needs is a little zip. I may try adding some vinegar, sugar and mustard to the leftovers. Made for Zaar Stars tag game.
This was really good. I made it for a picnic for 10 people Memorial day weekend and they all loved it. First they said ewww Kraft Dinner....but then they tried it and said Yummm. I made this the night before so it could really blend flavors. I did everything as written. I still have lots left over for my lunches only cause I had so many dishes. But this dish was enjoyed by all. Thanks for posting this recipe BakinBaby
This was pretty good -- but I think I will leave out the onion or just do very minimal next time -- seemed to overpower the flavor. I also might add some shredded cheese, as I think it would add to the cheesy flavor of the dish. Thanks for sharing!