Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Definitely NOT a diet recipe! From what I've been able to find out, the restaurant uses a modified Joy of Cooking recipe. gruyere cheese, heavy cream, no milk, and pipette pasta (little pipe). http://www.barillaus.com/Products/25/pipette.aspx
- Boil 6 cups water and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt to a boil in a medium pot. Add macaroni and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain and put in a large bowl.
- Melt 2 Tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Heat oven to 350°F Whisk in flour and cook 3 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Gradually whisk in heavy cream.
- Stir in onion, bay leaf, and paprika. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 1/2 cups gruyere. Season to taste with salt and pepper and remove bay leaf.
- Stir in pasta.
- Pour HALF of the pasta mixture into a deep 1 1/2-quart, buttered baking dish. Sprinkle with HALF of the remaining cheese. Top with remaining pasta mixture, then add the remaining cheese.
- Melt 1 Tablespoon butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add bread crumbs and toss to coat. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top of macaroni and cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes or until bread crumbs are lightly browned. Cook 5 minutes then serve.
Delicious, but I had to make a few adjustments because I use to work at J. Alexander's