1 hr 20 mins
Kathy at Food.com's Note:
Definitely NOT a diet recipe! From what I've been able to find out, the restaurant uses a modified Joy of Cooking recipe. gruyere cheese, heavy cream, no milk, and pipette pasta (little pipe). http://www.barillaus.com/Products/25/pipette.aspx
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Boil 6 cups water and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt to a boil in a medium pot. Add macaroni and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain and put in a large bowl.
- 2Melt 2 Tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Heat oven to 350°F Whisk in flour and cook 3 minutes, whisking constantly.
- 3Gradually whisk in heavy cream.
- 4Stir in onion, bay leaf, and paprika. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring often.
- 5Remove from heat and stir in 1 1/2 cups gruyere. Season to taste with salt and pepper and remove bay leaf.
- 6Stir in pasta.
- 7Pour HALF of the pasta mixture into a deep 1 1/2-quart, buttered baking dish. Sprinkle with HALF of the remaining cheese. Top with remaining pasta mixture, then add the remaining cheese.
- 8Melt 1 Tablespoon butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add bread crumbs and toss to coat. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top of macaroni and cheese.
- 9Bake 30 minutes or until bread crumbs are lightly browned. Cook 5 minutes then serve.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni and Cheese (J. Alexander's Version)
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1022.7
- Calories from Fat 665
- Total Fat 73.9 g
- Saturated Fat 44.7 g
- Cholesterol 252.7 mg
- Sodium 428.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 30.4 g