Recipe by GinaT
This is the best Mac and Cheese you will ever have. It tastes like the old fashioned, oven baked kind. Everyone who has had it loves it----and it is so easy. I often double the amounts with great results
Top Review by Angela Butler
After reading through about 34 Mac and Cheese recipes for the Slow Cooker, I settled on this one. I made a batch for 20 people. The review from Chef #717929 helped tremendously! It would have been a disaster if I hadn't followed his or her advice on how to prep this for cooking. Because I had such a large batch, I chose to stir in about 2/3 of the milk mix, butter and evap milk. I stirred it in lightly, not thoroughly. It is important that the macaroni sets so that the milk mixture can form like a glue to hold it all together correctly. I then mixed 4 cups of the cheese into the macaroni so the cheese would blend and melt in evenly. I also chose to use about one cup's worth of Velvetta 2%, sliced it about 1/2" thick and then used a spatula to bury it in various places in the macaroni. Last, I poured the remaining evaporated milk evenly across the macaroni. Then topped it with the last 2 cups of shredded cheese, and 5-6 thin slices of Velvetta. Everyone at my husband's company bbq raved about it. It did turn out with a fairly smooth consistency. What would I do differently: 1) make sure to spray the crock before putting in the macaroni so it doesn't stick. I forgot. 2) Cook the macaroni so that it's still somewhat firm and not completely cooked. It gets too soft after hours in a slow cooker and starts to fall apart. 3) Needs more flavor. Even with using Sharp Cheddar it still didn't have enough flavor. More pepper maybe. I am going to use bacon in it next time I think. Not sure what else to use that will give it a really good flavor like you find in Stouffer's let's say.
- 8 ounces cooked macaroni (elbow)
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper (to taste, I use about 1/2 tsp of each)
Directions See How It's Made
- place well drained noodles in the crock pot.
- slightly beat together egg, milk, salt and pepper.
- pour milk mixture, evaporated milk, and butter over the noodles (DO NOT STIR).
- place shredded cheese on top (DO NOT STIR).
- cook 3 hours on low OR 1 1/2 hours on high (DO NOT REMOVE LID DURING COOKING).
- STIR WELL before serving.