Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
A delicious dish from the REBAR Restaurant in Victoira. I've borrowed this recipe from EAT ME DELICIOUS.
- 6 cups dry pasta, shapes
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup chopped oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- 1⁄2 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached flour
- 4 cups grated aged white cheddar cheese (about 330g)
- 4 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- *I would use a bit less pasta, maybe 5 cups, because I like lots of sauce.
- **Fresh herbs are best of course but dried works fine too.
- ***4 Pieces of bread ripped up.
- Cook pasta in boiling, salted water until just done. strain and toss with a light coating of olive oil. set aside or refrigerate. (This step can be done one day in advance.).
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil in a small skillet and sauté onion for 5 minutes. add half of the minced garlic, 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) salt and sauté until the garlic turns golden. transfer to a small bowl and stir in half of the chopped herbs. Set aside.
- Next, make a roux for the cheese sauce. Gently heat the milk and keep it warm. Set a saucepan over medium heat and melt the butter. Sprinkle in flour and whisk constantly as the flour and butter turn golden. Gradually add the warm milk and 1 tsp (5ml) salt and whisk thoroughly. heat until the sauce thickens (about 10 minutes). Add the sautéed onion/herb mix, grated cheese and stir until the cheese melts. Season to taste.
- Finally, make the topping. Combine the breadcrumbs with the remaining garlic, herbs, Parmesan, pine nuts, 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) salt, plenty of cracked pepper and the remaining 3 tbsp (45ml) olive oil. Mix together thoroughly.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- To assemble, combine the noodles and cheese sauce in a large bowl and mix well. pour into an oiled 8 x12-inch dish.* Scatter the topping over the entire surface, working some of it into the noodles. Bake uncovered until golden and bubbly (about 45 minutes). Serve piping hot.
- *Not necessary to oil the dish.