Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I LOVE homemade mac & cheese. Made this today for a pot luck. It's fantastic
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for baking dish
- coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 1⁄3 cup skim milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 (8 ounce) packages extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (8 ounce) package monterey jack cheese, grated
- paprika, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375. Generously butter a 13x9" glass baking dish; set aside. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt and macaroni. Cook until aldente according to package directions. Drain, and return to pot. Add butter, and toss until pasta is coated and butter has melted; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together evaporated milk, skim milk, and eggs. Add seasoned salt, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; set aside. In another medium bowl, combine cheese; set aside.
- Place 1/3 macaroni in an even layer in the bottom of prepared baking dish; cover evenly with 1/3 cheese. Repeat with remaining macaroni and cheese mixture. Pour m ilk mixture evenly over contents of baking dish. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake until top layer is lightly browned, 35-45 minutes. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
This is by far the best recipe for Mac 'n Cheese. Easy to prepare and delicious. My first recipe for Mac 'n Cheese, is over 45 years and I never found a recipe better until I tried John Legend's recipe.
When I poured it into the casserole dish it over flowed everywhere. :( then after I poured some out and put it into the oven it started bubbling over! I'm a beginner, but this looked easy. :(
I make John Legend's Mac and Cheese and it's a big hit with my family. I thought that I made a pretty good mac and cheese in the first place, but this is the way that they want me to continue making it. lol