1/2 Photos of Macaroni and Cheese from Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa)
One of my favorite comfort foods made by Ina with cheddar and gruyere cheese and topped with fresh tomatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- kosher salt, to taste
- vegetable oil, if desired
- 1 lb elbow macaroni or 1 lb cavatappi pasta
- 1 quart milk
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (divided)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces gruyere cheese, grated (4 cups)
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 lb fresh tomato (4 small)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh white breadcrumbs (5 slices, crusts removed)
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Drizzle oil into a large pot of boiling salted water. Add the macaroni and cook according to the directions on the package, 6-8 minutes. Drain well.
- 3Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan, but don't boil it. Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a large (4 qt.) pot and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. While whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minutes or two more, until thickened and smooth. Off the heat, add the Gruyere, cheddar, 1 tablespoons salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add the cooked macaroni and stir well. Pour into a 3 quart baking dish.
- 4Slice the tomatoes and arrange on top. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, combine butter with fresh breaf crumbs, and sprinkle on top. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and macaroni is browned on the top.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni and Cheese from Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa)
Serving Size: 1 (325 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 988.5
- Calories from Fat 486
- Total Fat 54.0 g
- Saturated Fat 32.5 g
- Cholesterol 165.7 mg
- Sodium 1735.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 44.2 g