One of my favorite comfort foods made by Ina with cheddar and gruyere cheese and topped with fresh tomatoes.
- kosher salt, to taste
- vegetable oil, if desired
- 1 lb elbow macaroni or 1 lb cavatappi pasta
- 1 quart milk
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (divided)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces gruyere cheese, grated (4 cups)
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 lb fresh tomato (4 small)
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh white breadcrumbs (5 slices, crusts removed)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Drizzle oil into a large pot of boiling salted water. Add the macaroni and cook according to the directions on the package, 6-8 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan, but don't boil it. Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a large (4 qt.) pot and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. While whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minutes or two more, until thickened and smooth. Off the heat, add the Gruyere, cheddar, 1 tablespoons salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add the cooked macaroni and stir well. Pour into a 3 quart baking dish.
- Slice the tomatoes and arrange on top. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, combine butter with fresh breaf crumbs, and sprinkle on top. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and macaroni is browned on the top.
Oh boy what joy! Comfort food like this is just plain decadent! I could not find Gruyere cheese at our store so I used the grated package mix of Swiss and Gruyere and a 2 cup package of extra sharp Cheddar. The nutmeg in this is the perfect touch. I served it with Potage de Tomate (or Tomato Soup if you prefer!!) for the supreme mac and cheese and tomato soup combo.
This is a good white mac n cheese recipe. I made this after I saw Ina make it on her show. It looked scrumptious. Instead of gruyere I used swiss cheese. So Im sure if I use gruyere cheese next time it will make it even better. I do think this recipe needs a little more flavor. Next time I make it, I am going to add some finely chopped onion and fresh garlic. The tomatoes were just awesome over top! It sounds weird, but it gives it a nice touch! Next time Im also going to add some crumbled bacon and more shredded cheese over the top with the tomatoes. mmmmm what I did with this was put it in some medium sized ramekins and baked in the oven. So everyone would have their own little dish of it. I give this 4 stars as written, just because my taste buds say it needs more flavor. But if you doctor it up a bit, this could easily be a 5 star recipe!
Just finished it. This was a simple and extremely delicious meal. Followed every step and measurement, but eye balled the salt. The only thing I was missing was the nutmeg. Can't wait to try it again with it. Thanks!!!