Recipe by Dee514
This recipe is from: Executive Chef Bill Sauer - Delicias Restaurant, Rancho Santa Fe, Ca This is a very rich (6 cheese) macaroni and cheese recipe geared more for an adult taste with peas, prosciutto ham, and a sprinkling of black truffles. This is NOT a low fat dish, but it is truly a heavenly indulgence.
- 4 ounces unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 4 ounces all-purpose flour
- 16 ounces whole milk (2 cups)
- 32 ounces heavy cream (4 cups)
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces fontina, shredded
- 2 ounces triple cream brie (or Saint-Andre cheese)
- 8 ounces smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- 16 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- 8 ounces goat cheese
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1 cup thin-sliced prosciutto ham, cut into strips (omit for vegetarian)
- 1 cup fresh green peas (or frozen peas, thawed)
- 24 ounces dry macaroni, cooked and well drained (elbows or penne)
- 1 tablespoon minced black truffle
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, make a roux out of the butter and flour by melting the butter and adding the flour, mixing until smooth. Cook over low heat for about 3 minutes while mixing continuously.
- Slowly add the milk and then cream. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes or until mixture is nice and thick.
- Turn off the heat and whisk in the cheeses and sour cream in the following order: mozzarella, fontina, St. Andre, smoked Gouda, Parmesan, goat cheese, sour cream.
- In a large, separate sauce pan, saute the prosciutto until browned.
- Add the peas.
- Add the cheese sauce and cooked, drained macaroni, tossing to mix well.
- Plate, and garnish with the truffles.
- Serve warm.