Recipe by Troop Angel
This yummy recipe comes from Rachael Ray...I saw her make it one night on "30 Minute Meals" and I couldn't wait to try it. It makes a lot, so it's perfect for the hungry kids and DH! Don't let the number of ingredients or the steps fool you...this is a quick and easy meal to make on a busy weeknight!
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (16 ounce) package beef hot dogs or 1 (16 ounce) packagepork hot dogs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup beer or 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon spicy mustard
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 cups yellow sharp cheddar cheese, divided (buy preshredded cheese, you will need 1 1/2 sacks of 10-ounce packages)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil a large pot of water for macaroni.
- Salt water and under cook macaroni, cook about 7 minutes until just under al dente in doneness.
- Preheat broiler and set rack 12 inches from heat.
- While pasta works, heat a large deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan, then add hot dogs and brown on both sides, 4 minutes total.
- Remove the dogs with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate.
- Add another tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan, and the butter.
- When butter melts, cook onions 4 to 5 minutes, then add flour and cook another minute.
- Add beer/chicken broth and cook off completely, 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk and bring to a bubble, then season sauce with salt and pepper and stir in mustard and ketchup.
- Lower heat and add 2 cups of the cheese.
- Stir to melt, about 1 minute. Adjust mustard, ketchup, salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain pasta well.
- Combine pasta and hot dogs with sauce and coat evenly, then pour into large (13 x 9) casserole dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Melt and brown cheese under broiler, about 2 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!