1/2 Photos of Macaroni and Cheese Dog Casserole
Troop Angel's Note:
This yummy recipe comes from Rachael Ray...I saw her make it one night on "30 Minute Meals" and I couldn't wait to try it. It makes a lot, so it's perfect for the hungry kids and DH! Don't let the number of ingredients or the steps fool you...this is a quick and easy meal to make on a busy weeknight!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (16 ounce) package beef hot dogs or 1 (16 ounce) package pork hot dogs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup beer or 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon spicy mustard
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 cups yellow sharp cheddar cheese, divided (buy preshredded cheese, you will need 1 1/2 sacks of 10-ounce packages)
- 1Boil a large pot of water for macaroni.
- 2Salt water and under cook macaroni, cook about 7 minutes until just under al dente in doneness.
- 3Preheat broiler and set rack 12 inches from heat.
- 4While pasta works, heat a large deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 5Add 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan, then add hot dogs and brown on both sides, 4 minutes total.
- 6Remove the dogs with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate.
- 7Add another tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan, and the butter.
- 8When butter melts, cook onions 4 to 5 minutes, then add flour and cook another minute.
- 9Add beer/chicken broth and cook off completely, 1 minute.
- 10Whisk in milk and bring to a bubble, then season sauce with salt and pepper and stir in mustard and ketchup.
- 11Lower heat and add 2 cups of the cheese.
- 12Stir to melt, about 1 minute. Adjust mustard, ketchup, salt and pepper to taste.
- 13Drain pasta well.
- 14Combine pasta and hot dogs with sauce and coat evenly, then pour into large (13 x 9) casserole dish and top with remaining cheese.
- 15Melt and brown cheese under broiler, about 2 minutes.
- 16Serve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni and Cheese Dog Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (344 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1349.6
- Calories from Fat 698
- Total Fat 77.6 g
- Saturated Fat 37.0 g
- Cholesterol 173.8 mg
- Sodium 2032.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 105.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 53.8 g