1/1 Photo of Macaroni and Cheese (Dinosaur BBQ)
It does NOT get better than this. This is SUPER rich and cheesy. Not for the faint of heart! Dinosaur BBQ's mac and cheese has been featured on tv and in magazine's as the best mac and cheese in the country. I think they are right.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups onions, diced
- 3/4 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 4 ounces flour
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 14 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 5 ounces colby cheese, shredded
- 10 ounces American cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces pecorino romano cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard, French's
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 1/2 lbs elbow macaroni
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons pecorino romano cheese
- 1Heat oil in a large pot. Add onions and peppers; cook until they are translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Stir in flour. Add water and half-and-half. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- 2Using an immersion blender, puree this mixture until it is smooth (*if using a regular blender, work in batches, filling the pitcher only half-full, since the liquid will be hot). Slowly add cheeses to warm pureed mixture, making sure all cheese is melted before adding more. Once cheese is completely melted, add salt, lemon pepper, sugar, mustard, vinegar and Tabasco. Stir to combine.
- 3Cook 1 1/2 pounds of dried elbow macaroni in boiling water, according to manufacturer's instructions. Cook until al dente, not completely soft.
- 4Combine hot, cooked pasta and sauce in large mixing bowl; stir well to combine. Pour entire mixture into a greased 10-inch-by-12-inch pan (or a 9-inch-by-13-inch one). Top with 8 ounces. of shredded cheddar cheese and 2 tablespoons of Pecorino Romano cheese.
- 5Place under broiler until top is golden brown and bubbling. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni and Cheese (Dinosaur BBQ)
Serving Size: 1 (390 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 855.5
- Calories from Fat 434
- Total Fat 48.2 g
- Saturated Fat 24.4 g
- Cholesterol 112.2 mg
- Sodium 973.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 35.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pecorino romano cheese