Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Great for the kids. (Except I have to puree the celery to hide it from my daughter!)
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni (I use whole wheat but my kids are used to it, had to get rid of the refined stuff after hubby's hear)
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion (I have to puree them to hide them from my daughter as well!)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (I precook mine in the microwave and puree it ~ see description...)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups skim milk
- 1 cup chicken broth (I make my own, but canned is fine, try using low sodium)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated (I use low fat, old style cheese)
- In a pot, cook macaroni until of desired consistency. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt margarine and cook carrot, onion and celery over medium heat until they are softened.
- Stir in flour, mustard powder and salt. Stir constantly for about 1 minute. Stir in milk and chicken broth.
- Stir occasionally until it comes to a full boil and then let boil for one minute.
- Stir in cooked macaroni and cheese. Stir constantly until cheese is melted.