Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe came from a coupon book that I picked up in Safeway. I made it for a baby shower and they were devoured instantly. Serving them in cupcake form made them easy to serve AND easy to eat! Please note that the preparation time varies wildly depending on whether you opt to buy pre-shredded cheese, shred your cheese in a food processor, or hand-shred your cheese.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups nonfat milk
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 3⁄4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 12 cupcake liners, foil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place 12 foil cupcake liners into muffin tins.
- Cook macaroni as package label directs and drain.
- Measure flour into a medium saucepan.
- Slowly whisk in 1 cup of milk.
- Whisk in the remaining milk.
- Place over medium heat and cook until small bubbles appear around the edge.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring often, until thickened slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup Cheddar, Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Add macaroni, stirring gently to coat.
- Let rest for 5 minutes to cool.
- Scoop into prepared muffin tins, filling to the top.
- Sprinkle reserved 1/2 cup cheddar over tops.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until tops are lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and cool for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Go around the edge of cups with the tip of a small knife and remove cups from muffin tins.
This was good with a few changes. I orginally followed the recipe as written but thought the mixture was too wet. I cooked up about another cup of macaroni and then it seemed better. I also used 1/4 teaspoon of pepper but should have added some more. I liked the flavor of the cheese together but hubby didn't. This was good the next day too.