Recipe by Luv4food
This is a very easy casserole. Great for a busy day, not much effort. I found it in Crazy Casseroles by James Villas.
Top Review by Suzanne S.
I made this for Thanksgiving and it reminded me of my grandmother's recipe. I, too, was a little afraid not knowing how much milk to add, and found it a tad dry. I'll tweak it again when I make it. Thanks for sharing!
- 1 lb dry macaroni noodles
- 1⁄2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, thinly sliced (or your favorite)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk, plus more as needed
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot of salted water, cook macaroni until just tender (about 7 min.).
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter a 2L baking dish and layer with 1/2 the macaroni, then 1/2 the cheese, then the other rest of the macaroni.
- In a bowl mix eggs, milk, and butter.
- Season with salt and pepper, stir until well blended.
- Pour liquid over casserole.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Pour in enough milk to cover all the pasta, but NOT the top layer of cheese.
- Bake until the custard is slightly firm and the top lightly browned, about 25-30 minutes.
- Serve hot.