Recipe by Lynn Buntyn
This casserole is not your typical mac and cheese. It has a very "cheesy" rich flavor. It is great for family reunions and gatherings because it will serve up to 15 people and is easy to transport. You can make this "lighter" by using light sour cream (or plain yogurt) and cottage cheese as well as low cholesterol eggs.
- 1 (16 ounce) package macaroni (elbows, shells or rotini work great)
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 cups cottage cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) carton sour cream
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Slightly cook macaroni in boiling water and kosher salt. Allow to cool.
- Combine cottage cheese and sour cream and mix well.
- Add beaten eggs, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Fold in cheese reserving about 1/2 cup for topping.
- Add cooled macaroni.
- Place mixture in a slightly greased 13x9-inch baking dish and sprinkle top with reserved cheese. Cook for approximately 30 minutes or until edges start to turn golden.