Recipe by MarieRynr
Rich, creamy, warm and comforting. This blockbuster has lots of cheese, enough to swirl throughout the creamy sauce, which in turn oozes through every tube of pasta. Topped with crisp breadcrumbs, the crunchy-creamy contrast is just unbeatable.
- 3 1⁄4 cups large elbow macaroni (about 1 ounces)
- 12 slices bacon, chopped
- 3 cups fresh coarse breadcrumbs
- 1 cup packed finely grated parmesan cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups whole milk
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 1⁄2 cups packed grated Fontina cheese (about 14 ounces)
- 1 1⁄4 cups frozen peas
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Butter 13X9X2 inch baking dish.
- Cook macaroni in a heavy large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite.
- Drain, rinse and drain again.
- Cook bacon in a large heavy pot over medium heat until crisp.
- (10 minutes) Transfer bacon and 1/4 cup pan drippings to a large bowl.
- Add breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup parsley.
- Toss together.
- Add minced garlic to remaining pan drippings and saute over mdedium heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add flour and whisk 3 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in whole milk, then egg yolks, salt and pepper.
- Cook until mixture thickens, whisking constantly, about 12 minutes.
- Add 2 cups Fontina cheese and remaining 3/4 cup Parmesan.
- Whisk to melt cheese.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in remaining 1 1/2 cups fontina, peas and macaroni.
- Pour into prepared dish.
- Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over top and bake just until topping is golden, about 15 minutes.
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving.