Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a rich and creamy family favorite. Also lends itself well to additives to make a one dish meal. This recipe was handed down to me by my mother, now deceased. When we wanted comfort food, my mother came shining through with this creation!
- 16 ounces dry macaroni noodles
- 6 -8 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 2 -4 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed cooked ham (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups crumbled cooked bacon (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup diced green onion (optional)
- 1 cup green beans, drained (optional)
- Boil macaroni noodles to desired doneness. Drain, but do not rinse.
- In a small saucepan, over low heat, add the sour cream and the garlic powder, and 2TBS milk.
- Cube the cheese to help with melting, and add the cheese and the salt and
- Stir the cheese sauce mixture frequently to prevent scorching.
- If sauce is too thick, add more milk, in 1 TBS increments.
- When completely melted, pour the cheese sauce over the cooked macaroni noodles.
- Mix thoroughly and serve promptly.
- If adding the Optional ingredients, mix with the cheese sauce just before adding to the noodles.
- Leftovers are just as good, if not better than when it is fresh out of the kitchen.
- Addendum: The cheese sauce goes very well over baked potatoes and steamed broccoli or cauliflower, or even rice.