Recipe Junkie's Note:
From the Book, Caramel Knowledge
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or 1 1/2 cups pasteurized processed cheese
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1Cook the macaroni according to package directions.
- 3Melt the 1 T butter in a saucepan;
- 4stir in the onions and saute until they are translucent.
- 5Stir in the flour and cook a minute or so, stirring.
- 6Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly.
- 7When all the milk is in and the sauce is smooth and creamy, stir in the salt, pepper, the 1 and 1/2 c cheese, the worcestershire and dry mustard.
- 8Reheat a bit if necessary to melt all the cheese.
- 9Stir in the cooked macaroni.
- 10Now comes the au gratin part:.
- 11Turn the macaroni and cheese into a greased 2 quart casserole.
- 12Combine the bread crumbs and the 1/2 c cheese and sprinkle over the surface of the M&C.
- 13Melt the 3 T butter in a small pan and drizzle over all.
- 14Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or so (unless the mixture had gotten cold before it went into the oven, in which case make it 20 or 30 minutes), And run it under the broiler quickly at the end to brown the top.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni and Cheese Au Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 390.3
- Calories from Fat 192
- Total Fat 21.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 61.3 mg
- Sodium 356.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 15.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: