1/1 Photo of Macaroni and Cheese
Rita P's Note:
Macaroni and cheese was a favorite dish of Thomas Jefferson. I feel certain Mr. Jefferson would have approved this version.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and butter a shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- 2Cook the macaroni in boiling salted water until just tender.
- 3Drain it while you prepare the cream sauce.
- 4In a large saucepan, melt 4 tbs of butter, then whisk in the flour and add the milk.
- 5Stir the mixture until it thickens, then add the cheddar cheese and stir it in until it melts, Season with salt and pepper.
- 6Cut the Velveeta into 1/2 inch cubes and stir it into the white sauce, but do not allow it to melt completely.
- 7Place the drained macaroni in the prepared baking dish, pour the cheese sauce over it, and stir gently to mix.
- 8Sprinkle the crumbled crackers generously over the top and dot with the remaining butter.
- 9Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until browned and bubbly.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 757.2
- Calories from Fat 393
- Total Fat 43.6 g
- Saturated Fat 26.4 g
- Cholesterol 129.7 mg
- Sodium 1255.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 28.6 g