Recipe by Rita P
Macaroni and cheese was a favorite dish of Thomas Jefferson. I feel certain Mr. Jefferson would have approved this version.
Top Review by Doreen_2
I added more cheddar cheese and used part Carnation condensed milk and whole milk for a creamier texture.I also didn't put the crackers on top, but the recipe was still what I was looking for.The recipe was fairly easy to make and very good.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni (7 oz)
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated (4oz)
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled cracker, for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and butter a shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Cook the macaroni in boiling salted water until just tender.
- Drain it while you prepare the cream sauce.
- In a large saucepan, melt 4 tbs of butter, then whisk in the flour and add the milk.
- Stir the mixture until it thickens, then add the cheddar cheese and stir it in until it melts, Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the Velveeta into 1/2 inch cubes and stir it into the white sauce, but do not allow it to melt completely.
- Place the drained macaroni in the prepared baking dish, pour the cheese sauce over it, and stir gently to mix.
- Sprinkle the crumbled crackers generously over the top and dot with the remaining butter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until browned and bubbly.