1/1 Photo of Macaroni and Cheese
Rita P's Note:
Macaroni and cheese was a favorite dish of Thomas Jefferson. I feel certain Mr. Jefferson would have approved this version.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and butter a shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- 2Cook the macaroni in boiling salted water until just tender.
- 3Drain it while you prepare the cream sauce.
- 4In a large saucepan, melt 4 tbs of butter, then whisk in the flour and add the milk.
- 5Stir the mixture until it thickens, then add the cheddar cheese and stir it in until it melts, Season with salt and pepper.
- 6Cut the Velveeta into 1/2 inch cubes and stir it into the white sauce, but do not allow it to melt completely.
- 7Place the drained macaroni in the prepared baking dish, pour the cheese sauce over it, and stir gently to mix.
- 8Sprinkle the crumbled crackers generously over the top and dot with the remaining butter.
- 9Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until browned and bubbly.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 757.2
- Calories from Fat 393
- Total Fat 43.6 g
- Saturated Fat 26.4 g
- Cholesterol 129.7 mg
- Sodium 1255.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 28.6 g