Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe takes a little time, but it is a great comfort food. It is great as a side dish or main dish.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 5 1⁄2 cups milk
- 4 cups cheese (I use 3 cups sharp cheddar and 1 cup swiss] 1/4 tsp pepper 1/4 tsp nutmeg 1/4 tsp red pepper 2 tsp s)
- In a large saucepan cook butter and flour together, about 5 minutes.
- Add milk and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in cheese and seasonings, plus 2 tsps salt.
- Remove from heat and add one pound, cooked and drained macaroni.
- Pour into greased 9x13 glass baking pan.
- Top with bread crumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
This recipe didn't say how much macaroni to use for the amount of cheese sauce!?!
I cut this down to serve 2, and it worked perfectly. A really nice, creamy, classic mac and cheese. My only issue with the recipe is that the pasta and breadcrumbs were not listed in the ingredients, and so were not included in the nutrition info.
I added some veggies to the mac n cheese to make it more of a main dish, the kids loved it! Thanks for posting!