Recipe by ~jb4~
This is my MIL recipe she has made it for years. It is delicious. The elbow macaroni measurement is for 1--16 ounce box dry. I can't respond to zmail because of a previous issue.
Top Review by Karyn in Portland
If you're looking for the classic mac and cheese recipe, this is it. It's creamy and delicious. I served it as a side to meatloaf. I used Velveeta and whole milk, and put a few small bits of butter on the breadcrumbs to brown them. But be warned, it makes a ton, more like 12 servings versus 6. Directions did not give pan size, and I used a 9 x 13 pan which was very full. This is perfect comfort food.
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni (cooked)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 lb cheese, cut into cubes (I use Velveeta for creamier mac and cheese)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a pan cook butter, salt, pepper and flour and stir until smooth.
- Remove from heat add milk, return to heat and bring to a boil.
- Boil 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add cheese, stir until melted.
- Pour over elbows, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.